OUR JOURNEY IN FAITH
CENTRAL CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST)
(AS OF JULY, 2002)
WE CONFESS THAT JESUS IS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD, AND PROCLAIM HIM LORD AND SAVIOR OF THE WORLD. BEYOND THIS ONE ESSENTIAL CONVICTION, BELIEFS WILL DIFFER, AND WE ACCEPT ONE ANOTHER WITHOUT INSISTING THAT ALL AGREE.
- God is accessible to all people, and we believe in the power of prayer. We pray believing God hears and answers our private and shared prayers.
- All believers are called to represent Jesus, the Christ, in the world so we engage in ministries of word and deed.
- God’s justice is rooted in the truth that God is the creator of all things; therefore ultimate justice belongs only to God. In faithfulness to God we treat every person and all creation as being precious to God.
- We celebrate with thanksgiving the Lord’s Supper each time we gather for worship. All who wish to participate in this celebration of the saving acts and presence of Jesus, the Christ, are welcomed to the table.
- God calls us to unity in Christ. We seek to be uniters not dividers of all God’s creation.
Through the waters of baptism into Christ, we enter into newness of life and are made one with the whole people of God. We practice baptism by immersion while accepting other Christian traditions.
- The Bible is inspired by God, and within the universal church we interpret the Bible through the guidance of the Holy Spirit. As individuals we are called to continuously study and search the Bible for understanding, evaluating and sharing our interpretation within the Christian community.
- Salvation is the free gift of God’s love for the world through Jesus, the Christ. We believe that salvation cannot be earned or deserved by any goodness of our deeds or character. We accept God’s grace.